Saturday, August 31, 2013

Tutorial: How To Paper Piece With A Digital Stamp


Have you wondered what cardmakers and scrapbookers mean when they refer to "paper piecing"? I did!

It turns out, paper piecing to stampers means getting patterned paper on your stamped image in places where you would normally color the image.  With rubber stamps the image is stamped twice: once on plain cardstock and once on patterned paper. Then, the patterned paper piece is fussy cut and glued on top of the card stock piece.

But how to paper piece with digis?   This is the simple way that I do it and it is really FUN!

Im using here the adorable Emily with Rabbit Toy digi from Handmade Harbour, which has tons of fun digital stamps.   The paper pieced parts are the dresses.


First, print out 1 copy of your digi image on card stock, the way you normally would print it.  Do not close out your program, because you will need to print again shortly.  I usually print my digis at about 3 or 4 inches because I like having a bigger digi to fiddle with.  



 Next, take a second sheet of cardstock and tape your patterned paper (I used My Mind's Eye "A Mother's Love" paper) on to the spot on your second sheet of cardstock that your digi printed at on your original printing.   I tape it pretty tight all around, and have never had any jams in my printer but use caution.   




Now go back to the image on your computer (which should still be open on your computer screen) and print the image again, this time using the cardstock you have taped with designer paper.





Cut around the portion of the stamp that you want to paper piece.  Usually I do dresses, but it can be anything - an umbrella, a car....you get the idea!  Here I cut out Emily's dress and the bunny's dress.




I usually color in the skin first and any parts that will be colored that are next to the paper pieced dress. Then I glue the dress on the stamp and finish up the card!





I hope this inspires you to try paper piecing with a digi...thanks for peeking!  






                           

4 comments:

  1. Wow Laura, thank you for this tutorial - I had expected something quite complicated and beyond my tiny non-techie brain but this looks so easy to do and so effective too! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is nice, came from Totally tutorials, this is the first time I saw paper piecing on a digi. Thanx for the tute!!
    Hugs from India
    http://www.kalasirjana.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for letting me know you enjoyed the tute!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how easy it is to add detail using digital stamps.

    ReplyDelete