Sometimes I like to use ready made iron-ons for a quick fix on the shirts I sew for the kids. I get the iron-ons from Amazon or sometimes Jo Anns.
At first, my transfers did not stick to the shirt, or looked faded. After doing quite a bit of them, I realized I had some tips that might help others to get a clean and dark iron-on transfer.
Of course the preferred and easiest way of applying iron-ons is with a heat-press machine. Sadly, because of budgeting issues (or lack of a budget) Im not going to get a heat-press anytime soon. So these are applied with a regular iron.
Today I used these iron ons from Gama Go I got at Amazon here. I really like them and did a review on Amazon with some iron-on tips....I thought I would include it here on my blog as well.
Iron-On Tips:
Supplies needed: shirt, iron-on transfer, wooden chopping board, iron and sturdy table.
Place chopping board inside of shirt.
It really helps to be on a hard flat surface, slightly below you so you can put lots of pressure on it while ironing. I use a small wooden chopping board and place it on my table, put the chopping board inside the shirt so I only have one layer of fabric between the chopping board and iron, put the iron-on decal face down on the shirt with the plastic smooth side up.
Turn Iron to Hottest Setting, No Steam
I turn my iron to the hottest setting (no steam), and then press for about 40 seconds moving in constant circles using firm pressure. It usually starts to smell a little chemically when it starts to adhere to the fabric.
Iron With Slow Circles and Firm Pressure
Do not stay in one spot or it may burn also don't move super quickly or you may move the transfer.
Press Hard on the Edges and Small Areas (Like Fingers)
I also pay close attention to the edges, making sure to press hard in these areas, which seem to be the most difficult part to stick.
Wait for Iron-On To Get Warm, Then Peel Slowly
After applying the transfer, I wait for it the iron-on to get warm, then peel it off slowly starting with the biggest side (because its most likely to have stuck on the best).
Like anything else, it does take practice to learn how much pressure to put on it and for how long. So I would definitely practice on some not-so-special shirts first and save the baby onesie gifts and handmade shirts until you have done a few and are comfortable with the process. Once you get the hang of it, it's so fun you will be putting them on everything.
I recently made new tanks for my son in a bigger size with these iron ons. For those who are looking for the boys tank top sewing pattern, I use the Ottobre Pattern 2/2005 #19 and interlock knit.
Hope this helps you in your iron-on adventures!






Laura! We love what you did with our Iron-On designs. Awesome tips as well. AND thanks for your Amazon review!
ReplyDeleteGAMA Yeti
These are adorable Laura!!! I have never tried iron ons but now want to give them a try! The ones you chose are adorable too. Thanks for the tips! :)
ReplyDeleteOh these are so cute!!!
ReplyDelete